South Africa Team Journal


Friday, May 8, 2009

March 18, 2009



“It is thy own resolution to succeed that matters the most” (Abraham Lincoln).

Today was our third day of school. We woke to a morning of cool weather around too. We met for breakfast and to say the thought for the day. I chose a quote from an extraordinary woman with instant inspiration, love and dedication – Mother Teresa.

“Keep the joy of loving the poor and share the joy with all you meet. Remember works of love are works of peace”.

As we finished breakfast and started our walk to class we briefly discussed our lesson plans. Amy, Tiffany and Dorota are going to try to tackle their classes in a different fashion today. As for myself I would continue teaching/tutoring the first, second and third grades with Ms. Beauty.

We returned to the guest house to meet Olga. She wanted to show us her great accomplishment of the near finished bakery. The space has much potential and we believe it will be successful when up and running.

We continued on our day cleaning the community center for the upcoming events. As we finished with cleaning I spoke with Rebecca who I believe will be a leader in her community, a role model to others. She plans on continuing her education and to probably become a flight attendant. She has great passion for meeting people and learning.

I ended the day with the sun setting, the cool air to return, and with a heart warming song of ‘Amazing Grace’ sung by am amazing young lady named Peels.

This is when I decided that my gift to the community would be my faith, my love and dedication for the reminder of my stay.

-Jason Mullen

No comments: