South Africa Team Journal


Monday, July 26, 2010

Exploring South Africa

Monday July 26, 2010- Created by Andrew

After a stellar weekend of R & R at Coffee Bay, we returned to our volunteer routine in Malungeni. Kate and Anya are both feeling a little better and we know they will be back to their old selves in no time. Work today was productive, as far as tree planting was concerned. My brother Cam and I assisted with erecting two more tree enclosings. We have one more to go.

Sicho, Constance, and another community member assisted us, but I would like to make note of the continued determination of Montelezella and Mozalanda. Both have demonstrated beyond a doubt their ability and continued determination to work hard despite living with physical challenges and developmental delays. They are both charming young men and a credit to the community!

While working today, we were further entertained by a nearby farmer who would materialize to yell at and chase away grazing sheep off his property. The sheep kept going back and Constance explained the sheep didn’t belong to him, thus he was upset with them eating his grass.

Towards the lunch hour, I downed rubber gloves to bandage a small gash on Montezella’s ankle but the bandage seemed to keep coming off. With Richard’s kind help, we managed to make it hold with the use of gauze back at the guesthouse.

In the early afternoon, as many of the other volunteers were in Mthata for adventures in school supply shopping, Richard challenged Cameron to a gentleman’s game of chess. I couldn’t sit in as I was covered by a sticky tar like substance from the planting and has to take a cold bath. I just hope I didn’t unfairly turn the game in someone’s favor with my Richard Simmons like screaming once I entered the tub.

Several interesting activities have been planned for this week in addition to our volunteer jobs. Many thanks to Tanya to and anyone else I might have missed. I remain optimistic!

No comments: