South Africa Team Journal


Sunday, July 18, 2010

Same but different...

Sunday July 18, 2010- Created by Anya

Today was a day riddled with wonderful confusion and many new experiences. I am surprised by how different this community is from my own life, yet by the same token, so similar. The biggest difference that I can feel is the language barrier. I feel sorry that I cannot communicate as well as I would like.

I feel as if I am in a Quaker/Amish community because life is so simple without technology. I don’t remember the last night where after dinner I just sat on the couch of the living room without the background of television or computer around. I am surprised by how much I am enjoying it, in all honesty, and hope I can bring this simplicity back home. I am surprised at how little I miss the constant ringing of communication from my cell phone!

I wish everyone good luck tomorrow and hope that we are all anxious for no good reason. I am sure I will dream of new little African friend with whom I formed a connection without even speaking! It’s amazing…

Thought of the day: “The world in which you were born is just one model of reality. Other cultures are not failed attempts at being you; they are unique manifestations of the human spirit.”

No comments: